|
Twitter
|
Facebook
|
Google+
|
VKontakte
|
LinkedIn
|
 
 
International Journal of Innovation and Scientific Research
ISSN: 2351-8014
 
 
Friday 12 April 2024

About IJISR

News

Submission

Downloads

Archives

Custom Search

Contact

  • Contact us
  • Newsletter:

Connect with IJISR

   
 
 
 

Typology and role of trees in the urban and peri-urban environment of the city of Korhogo


[ Typologie et rôle des arbres dans le milieu urbain et périurbain de la ville Korhogo ]

Volume 57, Issue 2, November 2021, Pages 197–212

 Typology and role of trees in the urban and peri-urban environment of the city of Korhogo

N’Guessan Simon Andon1

1 Département de Géographie, UFR Sciences Sociales, Université Peleforo GON COULIBALY, BP 1328 Korhogo, District des Savanes, Côte d’Ivoire

Original language: French

Copyright © 2021 ISSR Journals. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract


Rapid and uncontrolled urbanization due to population growth in the city of Korhogo is creating socio-economic and environmental problems. Urban and peri-urban trees (AUP) play an important role in improving this situation. But this knowledge is very limited. Therefore, this research would like to show the types and role of AUPs based on the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (MEA) services. Triangulation of methods (analysis of secondary data from the literature review and primary data from surveys and field observation) was used to highlight the types of trees that are predominantly present in the city of Korhogo and their role in the lives of 240 city dwellers. The results showed that (i) there are 44 species, divided into 23 families of which 10 families are dominant. The mango tree (Mangifera indica) is dominant with 80% and the other 20% represent exotic trees such as neem (Azadirachta indica), Acacias Auriculiformis, Eucalyptus, etc. (ii) The role of the trees is derived from those of the MAE services which are: Provisioning (fruits, leaves, wood, food, source of economic income, medicine, with the economic function); Regulating (especially the Provision of shade, recreation, well-being and health, carbon sequestration, oxygenation, microclimate, with the ecological function); Supporting (soil erosion control, maintenance of biodiversity, provision of organic matter, with the ecological function) and Cultural (meditation, education, respect us and custom, spiritual, aesthetic, with the social and cultural function). A sustainable management of all AUP is necessary in the city of Korhogo.

Author Keywords: Korhogo, urban, peri-urban, tree, species, exotic, role.


Abstract: (french)


L’urbanisation rapide et incontrôlée dues la croissance démographique de la ville de Korhogo engendre des problèmes socio-économiques et environnementaux. Les arbres urbains et périurbains (AUP) jouent un rôle important pour améliorer cette situation. Mais cette connaissance est très limitée. C’est pourquoi, cette recherche voudrait montrer les types et le rôle des AUP en s’appuyant sur les services du millenium Ecosystem Assessment (MEA). La triangulation des méthodes (analyse des données secondaires de la revue de littérature et primaires issues des enquêtes et observation de terrain) a été utilisée pour mettre en lumière les types d’arbres majoritairement présents dans la ville de Korhogo et leur rôle auprès de 240 citadins. Les résultats ont montré que (i) il y a 44 espèces, reparties en 23 familles dont 10 familles sont dominantes. Le Manguier (Mangifera indica) est dominant avec 80% et les autres 20% représentent les arbres exotiques tels que le neem (Azadirachta indica), l’Acacias Auriculiformis, l’Eucalyptus, etc. (ii) Le rôle des arbres découle de ceux des services du MAE qui sont: Approvisionnement (fruits, feuilles, bois, nourriture, source de revenu économique, médicament, avec la fonction économique); Régulation (surtout l’Apport d’ombre, récréation, bien-être et santé, séquestration du carbone, oxygénation, microclimat, avec la fonction écologique); Support (lutte contre l’érosion du sol, maintien de la biodiversité, apport de matière organique, avec la fonction écologique) et Culturels (méditation, éducation, respect us et coutume, spirituel, esthétique, avec la fonction sociale et culturelle). Une gestion durable de tous les AUP est nécessaire dans la ville de Korhogo.

Author Keywords: Korhogo, arbre, urbain, périurbain, espèce, exotique, rôle.


How to Cite this Article


N’Guessan Simon Andon, “Typology and role of trees in the urban and peri-urban environment of the city of Korhogo,” International Journal of Innovation and Scientific Research, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 197–212, November 2021.